Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bad Driving Habits are Unnecessary

So this is the middle of April, one day before the Tax Deadline, spring is in bloom, (well at least in some places) and today is offered as another 24 hour gift. Guess what I have on my plate today!

One of the things I have to do is work off a traffic violation by signing up for a Defensive Driving School. It was my fault. Stupid. Went through a left turn lane just as it was turning red. Had plenty of time. Just didn't pay enough attention. Now, for the first time in years, I have an infraction. Stupid.

Bad habits have a way of catching up with you. While I don't make a regular practice of slipping through lights, I did it that day. And that was the day I was caught in the act, doing something I could very well have avoided. Now I have to pay the piper.

My conclusion to all this is bad driving habits, even if occasional, are unnecessary. They mess with your ego, your common sense, your better judgment, your routine, your image of yourself as a good driver.

Take it easy. There is absolutely nothing, short of someone in your car about to deliver a baby, requiring zipping too fast through traffic. There is absolutely no reason to jeopardize yourself and others. So, if you are delivering someone to the hospital, call 911. Stay out of the way of the professionals who typically know how to handle harrowing situations.

When approaching an intersection gauge your distance, speed, traffic conditions to determine your actions. Do not push it. It ain't necessary.
The intimidation of a flashing traffic photo light or a cruiser with flashing red and blue lights will just ruin your day.

While taking the course is probably good for me, I really ought to have enough common sense to avoid such oversights. Of course, although only 70, this may be a wake up call to check my general driving habits overall.
Driving is not an ego trip for me, but if I am going to do it, then I need to be sure I am doing it well.

Today may be a good day for a Driving Check Up. Learn from my mistake, avoid an unnecessary interruption. Hone your skills at driving. Commit to safe driving. I hope my blunder will assist your sensitivity to your own driving habits.

No comments: