Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mellowing and Growing Older with Grace

A very old poem I have found to be among my favorites, probably because I can still quote it, is this one:

Isn’t it strange that princes and kings
And clowns that caper in sawdust rings
And common folk, like you and me
Are builders of eternity?

To each is given a bag of tools
And a book of rules.
And each must build,
Ere life is flown,
A stumbling block or a stepping stone.

I have no idea the author, couldn’t tell you where I first came across it. It has, however, served me well. It is a gentle reminder of the flow of life. It reveals well the goal of life and our acting out of it.

Mellowing and growing older with grace requires discovering the secret of this rhyme. Passing days give opportunity for us to get in touch how much more pleasant life can be if we unearth secrets like these. Complications, confusions, challenges to peace of mind often serve as major impediments to our smoothing out the rough edges of our personality.

If today, you discover a dour and sour disposition dominating your encounters with others, remember this poem. If you find your behavior is pushing people away, stop it. Remember the poem. If you are impossible to be with even for an hour, isolate yourself and memorize this poem.

I expect stumbling blocks are heavier than stepping stones. So lift and put in place the one that makes it less difficult to take the stairway to the top.

No comments: